Trading On The WSE: July 2012
by 02 Aug 14:17
- Session trading in shares on the Main Market reached PLN 15.7 billion in July (down by 18.5% year on year), the average number of session transactions was up by 7.2% and WIG was down by 14.8%.
- The volume of trading in derivative instruments was down by 10.8% year on year in July.1)
- The highest monthly value of cash transactions on Treasury BondSpot Poland (PLN 49.3 billion); the value of trading in January-July 2012 was at 87.6% of trading in 2011.
- Spot transactions on the WSE electricity markets reached 1.6 TWh in July 2012 v. 1.7 TWh in 2011 (down by 6.9%), while forward transactions increased by 7.9% and trading in property rights by 13.1%.
The Warsaw Stock Exchange publishes July turnover data for the markets operated by the WSE Group.
The total value of trading in July (session + block trades) was PLN 19.2 billion (a decrease of 11.2% year on year). Both the value of total trading and the value of session trading in July were the highest in the last 4 months. Market activity as measured by the number of transactions increased by 7.2% in July v. 851.4 thousand transactions in July 2011.
Block trades increased by 48.6% compared to July 2011. The observed growth was largely driven by a privatisation transaction in shares of PKO BP closed on the WSE.
The WIG index lost 14.8% year on year and gained 6.8% year to date at the end of July 2012.
The value of session trading was PLN 49.8 million in July 2012, as compared to PLN 110.6 million in July 2011. The number of session transactions decreased to 44.7 thousand in July 2012 from 83.6 thousand in July 2011. The total value of trading in January-July 2012 was PLN 0.8 billion, as compared to PLN 1.4 billion in January-July 2011.
The NCIndex lost 34.6% year on year and 18.5% year to date at the end of July 2012.
Futures contracts: The monthly volume of trading in index futures was 0.67 million contracts, a decrease of 15.4% compared to 0.80 million in July 2011. The incremental volume of trading year to date was 5.7 million, a decrease of 18.9% as compared to 7.1 million a year earlier. The monthly volume of trading in single-stock futures (36.1 thousand) was lower than in July 2011 (56.1 thousand). The volume of trading in currency futures was 100.9 thousand in July 2012, as compared to 26.6 thousand in July 2011.1)
Options: The volume of trading in index options was 44.2 thousand in July 2012 and the incremental volume was 341.9 thousand year to date in 2012. The trading volume was 78.1 thousand and 586.2 thousand, respectively, in the same periods of 2011.
Structured products, investment certificates and ETFs
Structured products and investment certificates: The value of trading in structured products and investment certificates was PLN 11.2 million in July 2012, as compared to PLN 28.3 million in July 2011.
ETFs: The value of trading in ETFs was PLN 10.8 million in July 2012, as compared to PLN 29.5 million in July 2011. The incremental value of trading in ETFs year to date in 2012 was PLN 163.5 million, a decrease of 2.3% compared to the same period of 2011.
The monthly value of session trading was PLN 176.5 million, an increase of 8.6% as compared to PLN 154.8 million in July 2011. Session trading in January-July 2012 was PLN 975.0 million, an increase of 32.5% year on year.
The nominal value of instruments listed on Catalyst (corporate, municipal and mortgage bonds) was growing year on year at a steady double-digit rate. It stood at PLN 48.2 billion at the end of July 2012, an increase of 40.8% year on year.
Treasury BondSpot Poland
The value of cash transactions on Treasury BondSpot Poland continued to grow dynamically. The market reported the highest monthly value of trading in July (PLN 49.3 billion) while trading in January-July 2012 was at 87.6% of trading in all of 2011. Conditional transactions in July 2012 decreased by 34.0% year on year and stood at PLN 45.5 billion.
Electricity and property rights3)
Electricity: Spot transactions on the WSE Group electricity markets reached 1.56 TWh in July 2012, as compared to 1.68 TWh in July 2011. Incremental spot transactions year to date increased by 0.6% year on year and reached 12.64 TWh. Forward transactions in the same period (38.01 TWh) decreased compared to the same period of 2011 (52.91 TWh).
Property rights: Trading on the property market continued to grow significantly year on year. The monthly volume of trading increased by 13.1% compared to July 2011 and reached 3.49 TWh. The trading volume in January-July 2012 increased by 26.2% year on year and reached 37.7 TWh.
The WSE held 22 trading sessions in July 2012, one more than in July 2011.
1) – the volume of trading in currency futures is calculated on the basis of a trading unit equal to 1,000 contracts as of 1 May 2012 (previously: 10,000 contracts); consequently, the volume of trading in currency futures and the total volume of trading in derivative instruments are not fully comparable to previous periods
2) – transactions in shares, allotment certificates and subscription rights
3) – transactions on poee WSE EM and the Polish Power Exchange. The WSE acquired a majority stake in the Polish Power Exchange on 24 February 2012